Tips for Braces Pain Relief
Posted on October 6, 2019
Braces are now more comfortable, and durable than ever. Fitting into braces for the first and hopefully, only time however does take some getting used to. To alleviate any discomfort for first time orthodontic patients, Jacaranda Smiles has come up with a list of 10 tips for braces pain relief you can start implementing right now.
- Dental hygiene can certainly play a role in further discomfort caused by braces. By practicing positive health techniques, one can care for any blemishes caused by braces hardware, and discomfort will be seen at a lower rate.
- A warm salt water rinse can combat some of the pain associated with having new braces. Warmer water can soothe the gums as well as teeth. When teeth are being straightened, giving them the benefit of warmth or even salt water can go a long way in solving irritation caused by braces.
- Orthodontic wax is made of silicon and creates a malleable barrier between the soft parts of your mouth, and your metallic orthodontic equipment. By using orthodontic wax, you can ease irritation within the mouth.
- Eating foods that aren’t harsh on your hardware can go a long way. You will want to be sure that you follow along with the guidelines for what is acceptable to eat or drink according with braces. Avoid foods that may displace or aggravate orthodontic hardware and teeth. Focus on eating fruits and veggies. Anything soft for a few days once treatment has been initiated.
- The all-important Advil. Advil can reduce the inflammation caused by irritation and can also dull the pain caused by adjusting teeth.
- Gum massage. Gently massage your gums with your fingertips in a circular motion. Being careful to avoid rubbing your inner mouth with the sides of your brackets and wires.
- Drink ice water. Almost like utilizing ice, in a more refreshing form.
- Patience. Patience is a virtue as they say. In many cases, pain generally subsides on its own within a relatively short timeframe. Simply getting used to the hardware is the objective for the first week, or after getting your braces tightened.
However, if you have any persistent pain that isn’t being addressed with these tips for braces pain relief, perhaps the best thing to do is to make an appointment at Jacaranda Smiles. If you have any questions or concerns, there is never a better time to make an appointment than now!