How to Help Your Kids Form Good Oral Hygiene Habits
Posted on January 1, 2019
All of us know how important it is to have a good oral hygiene habits. Good habits are imbibed right from childhood as they last for life. Also, it’s important for kids to have a proper oral hygiene routine as they have chances of developing tooth decay. It’s the responsibility of parents to make children understand the significance of maintaining oral hygiene.
Tips of Imbibing Good Dental Hygiene Habits in Kids:
- Set a Good ExampleChildren follow what their parents do as parents are their first teachers. If they notice their family members brushing and flossing their teeth, they would want to do the same too and gradually it will become a habit. Apart from brushing and flossing, talk positively about dental visits so they are not apprehensive about seeing the dentist.
- Start EarlyYou must start teaching your kids how to brush when they turn two or three. You can take a small size toothbrush along with small quantity of paste. If your child insists to brush the teeth on his own, let him do that. Till the time kids turn 5 or 6, they should be capable of brushing teeth on their own.
- Go Shopping TogetherIt’s a good idea to take your kids along shopping for the oral hygiene products on their own. When they get to choose their favorite toothbrush, chances are they would look forward to use it. Let them choose their favorite color or favorite cartoon character toothbrush as fancy items attract kids.
- Make Dental Self-care RewardingKids are too young to understand the significance of brushing teeth and its benefits. Thus, associate dental with some kind of reward which tempts them to brush. You can give them a sticker or make a chart and put a star every time they brush.
- Establish a Dental Home Early OnMake your child believe that the dental clinic is a good place and there is nothing to be afraid about. Take them to dentist from an early age so that they become familiar with the routine.