How to Clean Your Invisalign Aligners
Posted on August 12, 2019
As a new Invisalign patient, you are probably excited to finally have your aligners so you can get to work on achieving your best brilliant smile. While you will not have to learn any new teeth cleaning techniques with Invisalign since they are removable, cleaning your teeth will be the exact same, you must learn how to clean your aligners every day.
Proper upkeep and good oral hygiene are essential for keeping your aligners clean, odor-free, and invisible. If you are not sure how to clean your aligners, do not worry! Jacaranda Smiles have put together the following Dos and Don’ts that will help you keep your aligners clean, fresh, odor-free, and crystal clear.
The Do’s of Invisalign Maintenance
- Rinse off your aligners when you take them out of your mouth. Dry saliva and plaque create a perfect breeding ground for foul-smelling bacteria.
- Clean your teeth before putting your aligners back in. Since the aligners fit very snugly over your teeth, failing to brush and floss can trap tiny bits of food between your teeth and aligners to put you at risk for dental issues like decay.
- Soak your aligners for a daily deep-cleaning. Use Retainer Brite or a denture cleaner to soak and sanitize your aligners daily. You can also use the official Invisalign Cleaning Crystals which can be purchased online.
- Brush your aligners gently so you don’t scratch the plastic to leave visible marks.
- Use an anti-bacterial soft soap to clean your aligners so they’re always fresh, clear, and free from bacteria.
The Don’ts of Invisalign Care
- Don’t eat or drink (anything but water) when you have your aligners in your mouth. Many foods and drinks can leave stains on your aligners and cause them to smell bad.
- Don’t use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Many types of toothpaste are abrasive and can create tiny gouges in the plastic where bacteria can build up. Using abrasive toothpaste will also cause your aligners to look dull, making them more visible on your teeth.
- Don’t use soap that’s colored. When using antibacterial soap to clean your aligners, make sure it’s clear and not tinted to avoid staining your aligners.
- Don’t neglect to put your aligners in their case when they’re not in your mouth. This will help you avoid losing or breaking them and will keep your aligners protected from harmful germs and bacteria. Before you put your aligners back in, give them a quick rinse in cool water.
Contact Jacaranda Smiles
By following these tips, your Invisalign aligners will always be clean, invisible, and free from bacteria that can cause decay and bad breath. If you have any questions or need some more cleaning advice, just ask and we’ll help!
Jacaranda Smiles is a proud provider of Invisalign in Broward County. Whether you’re interested in Invisalign for your teenager or are looking for Invisalign for yourself, we’d be thrilled if you choose us to help your family achieve your best possible smiles! To request your free Invisalign consultation, please call our office at 954-452-9988 or fill out this online form today. We look forward to seeing you soon!